- September 4, 2017
- Can’t Sleep? Acupuncture could help
Tired of Not Sleeping?
Over the last couple of months I have noticed how many patients comment that their sleep is ‘rubbish’ when questioned about it. This can vary between having difficulty falling asleep to not being able to sleep at all.
These chronic sleep problems can lead to chronic health problems. Studies suggest that inadequate sleep may adversely affect our immune system. Many of the major restorative functions in the body like muscle growth, tissue repair, protein synthesis, and growth hormone release occur predominantly or only during sleep.
Types of Insomnia:
· Difficulty falling asleep (sleep-onset insomnia) – the most common type
· Waking up in the night and not being able to get back to sleep
· Waking up too early in the morning and not being able to get back to sleep
· Not feeling refreshed after sleep
Acupuncture for Insomnia
In clinical research trials, acupuncture for insomnia appears to be at least as effective as existing conventional drugs without the side effects and should be considered as one of the therapeutic options for insomnia.
Acupuncture may specifically benefit people with insomnia by:
· Increasing production of nocturnal melatonin, a hormone believed to regulate sleep
· Stimulating natural opioids which reduce anxiety and pain
· Promoting normal function of brain tissues
· Calming sympathetic nervous activity, promoting relaxation
· Altering the brain’s mood chemistry to calm and reduce tension See https://www.acupuncture.org.uk/a-to-z-of-conditions/a-to-z-of-conditions/insomnia.html for more evidence based research
I have seen fantastic results using acupuncture to help with sleep problems. It can sometimes take regular treatment over time to get the best results but in some cases one or two treatments is enough to reset the body and help achieve a good nights sleep.
Here’s what a patient had to say after receiving acupuncture for insomnia:
‘Having suffered insomnia for the last year since going through the menopause, I decided to try acupuncture. I was waking many times in the night, often waking at 2 or 3am and not being able to go back to sleep. I was left extremely fatigued all day and completely drained by the end of it.
After treatment, I immediately felt relaxed. From having five sessions so far, my sleep has definitely improved. I have noticed that I am waking less frequently in the night and when I do wake, I am going back to sleep faster. I am also not getting so hot at night either. As a result of having deeper sleep, I am waking feeling more refreshed and ready for the day for the first time in ages.’ I am definitely going to recommend acupuncture to a few of my friends who are also struggling with sleep’.
For more information on acupuncture see www.acupuncture.org.uk
Book with Esmee here online for your 1st step towards a restful nights sleep or call 01392 428141