- January 3, 2017
- Get help for your Headaches
DID YOU KNOW THAT OSTEOPATHY CAN HELP HEADACHES?
There are two main types of headaches-
This is the more intense, sharper of the headaches, and can come with flashing lights, nausea and occasionally the only remedy is to retreat to a dark room to sleep it off.
- Tension headaches:
This is the more common of the headaches. It tends to be a dull ache at the back of the head with a tight band across the forehead and ache behind the eyes. Rubbing/massaging your neck and temple region of your skull tends to help.
- Migraine– Hormonal, genetics, stress, previous head trauma, certain foods and poor sleep.
- Tension– Poor neck and shoulder posture, whiplash injuries, stress, lack of sleep and poor diet.
Massaging the muscles at the back of your neck at the base of your skull can help relieve tension. The nerve that exits your neck at this level supplies the membranes in your head which cause the headache.
If you have pressure in your head you can rest your elbows on the desk, place your thumbs upwards into the space above your eyes either side of the bridge of your nose. Let the weight of your head rest on your thumbs.
Dehydration can cause headaches so drink plenty of water.
Eye strain whilst working on computers is sometimes a cause. Have your eyes tested regularly and try to look out of a window or across the room regularly to change the focal length of your eyes.
- Migraines- There is good evidence that osteopathic treatment can prevent migraines but please also look at your diet, posture and reduce your stress levels.
- Tension- Osteopaths assess your posture sitting and standing. We also look at how tight your neck, shoulder and skull muscles and how your spinal joints are moving. By releasing these muscles and spinal joints we can free up the tension. We also give you lots of exercises and advice for prevention.
Try some of the stretches on our website for the neck and shoulders.
If they are not helpful then please call us. We can offer effective treatment as well as a custom made exercise programme to stop the headaches returning.
The treatment may enable you to reduce the amount of the pain relieving medications with all their associated side effects.